Monday, September 8, 2008

Poached Chicken Soup

I'm definitely not ready to let the summer go, but this weekend I actually made the first soup of the season.  I couldn't help myself, it poured all day (thanks Gustav)!  I managed to make it to the store, getting soaking wet in the short walk from door to car, and all I wanted at that point was soup....and not just any soup, Chicken Soup!  I mean, there's nothing more comforting on a dreary day that some chicken soup, am I right or am I right people.  I mean, there's a reason that Campbell's turns the profit it does.

But there was no way I was going to crack open a can of soup and call it a day.  I remembered a poached chicken soup I made from this book (which is awesome btw).  This recipe is great because it's an upscale version of your standard chicken soup, that doesn't lose the heartiness and comfort food-iness of it all.  Whole pieces of chicken are added, I prefer to use dark meat, though the poaching actually keeps the white meat pretty moist as well.  I, however, am unashamedly biased toward dark meat, so sue me.  The parsley added at the very end gives it a fresh taste and the simple broth holds it all together.  I recommend serving in wide shallow bowls.  Place a piece of chicken in the bowl and spoon the broth and vegetables over the top.  Serve with garlic bread.

Poached Chicken Soup (adapted from Quick from Scratch Soups & Salad Cookbook)

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 red potatoes, cubed
6 chicken pieces (of your choosing, though I don't think wings would really work), skin removed
2 pints + 1 c water
1 bullion cube
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 c parsley, chopped

Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrot and celery.  Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes, chicken, water, bullion, bay leaf, and thyme.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done and potatoes are tender (20-40 minutes, depending on size of chicken pieces).  Add the parsley and serve.

No comments: