Sunday, August 23, 2009

New Rules...also penne

What I've come to realize over time, is that this blog is really the most useful to me (besides of course my legions of adoring fans). I use it all the time when I don't have a particular recipe or cookbook with me. And since most everything I post here are things I like and make all the time, it is an invaluable resource. However, sometimes all I want to do is post a recipe, and I'm not feeling particularly chatty or interesting. So new rules, sometimes all you get is a recipe. Yay!

Ok, so moving on, I recently purchased the Williams Sonoma Pasta book. The awesome Penne ala Vodka from the last post was from this book, and the second one I tried (see below) was a success as well. Here it is, with some minor adjustments by me:

Penne With Spring Vegetables

1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 in pieces
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
10-12 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
2 c baby spinach
1 1/2 c frozen peas
1/2 c white wine
3/4 c heavy cream
1/2 c basil (before mincing), finely minced
1 lb penne
salt and pepper

Boil water for pasta. Blanch the asparagus in the boiling water for approx 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Meanwhile, melt the butter with the olive oil over med-low heat
Add the scallions and saute until wilted, approx 5 minutes
Add the spinach and peas and saute until the spinach is wilted, another 3-5 minutes
Add the asparagus and white wine and cook 3-4 minutes, until reduced
Stir in the cream, and bring to a boil
Simmer until the cream is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes, then add the minced basil
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Toss with the penne and enjoy!

No comments: