Sunday, March 16, 2008

mmmmm....Summer

So I don't know about the rest of you, but these few warmer days we've been having have made me want summer.....really want summer. You know, sun, long days, the heat. I love this city more than anything, but I been missing the country. All I want to do right now is sit outside, maybe go for a swim, and think about what I'm making for dinner. That pretty much sums up summer for me. Get up, have breakfast and plan dinner, go food shopping, play tennis/swim/lounge about, cook for anyone in the vicinity...and of course, you can't forget the 6 pm martini on the deck. And with an ever changing bunch of anywhere from three to 20 people, there's a lot of food preparation going on. Now I would never imply that I do this alone, I am blessed with a family of amazing cooks.

Now back to the 6 pm martini on the deck: the muffin-family martini is gin, a splash of vermouth, lots of ice (it's hot, remember) and a lemon slice. And to go with this -- so you don't get too drunk to cook dinner -- you need little munchies, my fav being bruschetta.

Bruschetta on the Deck (I'm trying to work on my titles, bear with me)

I like to use plum tomatoes, they tend to hold their shape better and are easier to de-seed.

10 plum tomatoes, chopped and de-seeded (as best you can)
1 small onion (white or yellow), very finely chopped
3 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper
vinegar (I've been using Champagne Vinegar, but White Wine Vinegar would work too, just use less of it)

baguette and garlic cloves, peeled

slice the bread into thin slices and place on a baking sheet. Put under the broiler, flipping once to toast each side. Rub one side of each slice with the cut side of the raw garlic. Spoon the tomato mixture over the top, making sure to add enough of the juice to soak through to the bread. Eat immediately!

1 comment:

BMWBeatz said...

Stop it, you're making me all nostalgic.