Thursday, March 13, 2008

Deviled Eggs with Crabmeat

I've recently been having a renewed love affair with the hardboiled egg. It began with my trip to India. I'm guessing you know this, but muffin and spicy don't get along. Needless to say I didn't have extensive food choices, and anyone who knows me knows: this girl's gotta eat! And so I re-embraced the hardboiled egg, in all of it's protein-y goodness. A simple hardboiled egg, cut in half and salted is one of life's great pleasures, but what if you want more?

This brings me to the deviled egg...you know, the hardboiled egg on steroids. And then, to ratchet it up another notch, throw in some crabmeat. Yep, you heard me, crabmeat. I mean, who doesn't love a good ol' deviled egg? So here's a gourmet version.


6 eggs, hard boiled
3 1/3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 1/3 tbsp celery, very finely chopped
1 1/3 tbsp white onion, very finely chopped
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
worcestershire sauce, a few drops
salt & pepper to taste
6 oz canned crabmeat

Cut peeled eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolks
Mash yolks and the rest of the ingredients, adjust to taste
Refill whites with yolk mixture and serve
[Garnish Note: you can dust with paprika if you like, though I've found this to be purely decorative. Another garnish you can try is small sprigs of parsley on top of each egg]

Hardboiled Eggs: the best and easiest way to make them is to cover them with about 1 inch of cold water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 13 minutes. Then place them in a cold water bath to stop their cooking.

2 comments:

keetens said...

HEY it all makes sense now. Spicy things don't go with muffins! It is so obvious.

seriously said...

we should do brunch soon...people eat these things for brunch, right?