Thursday, July 10, 2008

Get Drunk in the Woods, vol 1

This past weekend was my birthday, so I invited some of the muffin peeps come out to the compound for a celebration lovingly named "Get Drunk in the Woods". And as you may imagine, we were successful in our endeavor.  But of course, there had to be food too!  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera out to document so you'll just have to use your imagination. Of course, if anyone in attendance would like to provide photo proof of the food, I'm all ears. But I'll give the recipes...in at least 2 parts (there was a lot). And of course, because of the wonderful things brought by members of the muffin family, I won't be able to get it all. But here's a start:

Menu
White Bean Dip (appetizer)
Pita Chips (appetizer)
Chicken Legs marinated in soy etc
Sirloin Steak marinated in this beef marinade
Tomatoes and Mozzarella with Basil and Dressing
Oranges and Red Onion Salad
CousCous Salad

There was also the addition of various things I don't have recipes for which included an amazing skewered shrimp dish (there were 80 shrimp if I remember correctly), a salmon and potato dish, and a massive shrimp cocktail platter (appetizer), among other things.

So to begin, the chicken, which apparently was a hit. I made the marinade for 26 rather large chicken legs, so I've halved it here. My latest discovery is that using soy as a base for the marinade is equivalent to brining the meat. Amazing, I know. So here's the chicken:

The Awesome-est Chicken Marinade

3/4 c soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chopped ginger
3 cloves garlic, chopped

Marinate. The longer the better, but no need to do it a day ahead. I marinated for about 7 or 8 hours. Grill (preferably delegate this out, as I successfully did to Muffin's grill-tastic friends, thanks guys!)

No comments: