Thursday, February 28, 2008

Piggy!

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming we all love bacon. However, I've always found it to be a huge pain-in-the-ass to cook. You know, bits of it burn before the rest even cooks a little, all the while spattering grease all over the stove, and usually your hands and arms. I don't like to put myself through that kind of pain, just for a little pig fat. But then I discovered you can bake it. I know what you're thinking, pretty f-in amazing. Ok, well maybe it's not that big of a deal, but it definitely transformed the way I think about bacon.

Then I found a recipe for Sweet Basil Bacon in a book called Cook What You Love by Bob and Melinda Blanchard. It's baked bacon plus. Here's the gist of it (with my changes of course):

Place bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or waxed paper. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. Turn the bacon over, sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped fresh basil (they suggest dried, but fresh is always better). Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes (until crisp).

And there you go, yumminess without any grease burns! You're welcome.

No comments: